During the month of June PCA is celebrating all things Filipino. Since February, we as a staff have been learning about a different Asian group every month. It’s an opportunity for us to immerse ourselves in the diverse world that is L.A. Here are a few facts about Filipinos in LA that we found interesting:
- Filipinos make up the largest Asian American group in California.
- Little Tokyo used to be Little Manila.(1920s-1940s)
- Historic Filipinotown was created in 2002 by now-mayor Eric Garcetti back in 2002 when he proposed a resolution as a councilmember.
- Historic Filipinotown is the first official geographic designation by any city outside the Philippines that honors Filipinos.
- There are now more Central Americans and Mexicans living in Filipinotown than Filipinos. 10,000 of the 600,000 Filipinos in the LA-area live in Filipinotown.